Monday, February 13, 2012

DAILY MASS READING



Monday, February 13, 2012
Weekday

FIRST READING

James 1:1-11 

1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:Greetings.  2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.  9 Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. 10 But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. 11 For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.
  
PSALM READING

Psalms 119: 67 - 68, 71 - 72, 75 – 76

67 Before I was afflicted I went astray; but now I keep thy word. 68 Thou art good and doest good; teach me thy statutes. 

71 It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn thy statutes. 72 The law of thy mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces. 

75 I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that in faithfulness thou hast afflicted me. 76 Let thy steadfast love be ready to comfort me according to thy promise to thy servant

GOSPEL

Mark 8: 11 – 13 

11 The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, seeking from him a sign from heaven, to test him. 12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and said, "Why does this generation seek a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation." 13 And he left them, and getting into the boat again he departed to the other side.

If you want God to hear your prayers, hear the voice of the poor. If you wish God to anticipate your wants, provide those of the needy without waiting for them to ask you. Especially anticipate the needs of those who are ashamed to beg. To make them ask for alms is to make them buy it.-- St. Thomas of Villanova





The Maranta Singers - Teach me thy way (Psalm 119, Psalms Alive)





No comments:

Post a Comment